"God is eagerly waiting for the chance to answer your prayers and fulfill your dreams, just as he always has. But he can't if you don't pray, and he can't if you don't dream. In short, he can't if you don't believe."
-Jeffrey R. Holland

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Save! Don't Spend!

Having a baby is expensive.  Obviously.  Well, for us, and others like us, so is trying to have said baby.  

Unfortunately, almost all insurance companies do not cover treatments for infertility.  Many of them also don't even cover testing to find if you have any "problems."  I don't think I will ever be able to understand why.  

So frustrating.  

When we got married, I wanted to start saving right away to someday be able to start our family.  Because of insurance companies not covering our testing and treatments, we have sadly had to spend, and are having to spend, most of that money to cover everything.  We are currently battling with our insurance over some of these bills, and I just want to bang my phone against the wall and scream at the person I am speaking with.  Kyhle does most of the battling, so I know he feels the same frustration as I do.  

We have been given a tough situation with my laparoscopy surgery.  You never think you would say that you hope they find something wrong.  But right now, we are strongly hoping.  If the doctor finds that I do have endometriosis, insurance will cover the surgery.  Awesome!!

If they find nothing wrong, we have to pay for everything.  

Because of all of these new, unexpected expenses, I am working on planning a new monthly budget for us.  We have learned the hard way about what happens if you spend and don't save.  We love to spend, spend, spend!  Obviously, our biggest problem is that we love to go out to eat.  Who doesn't?  We used to grocery shop at Wal-Mart and Kroger, but lately, we have gotten lazy and started to do all of our shopping at Marsh.  I come home from the store with just a few things in my bags, and I have spent $60!  That just can't happen anymore.  My mom and sister have been telling me so much lately that I need to get a hobby.  

Couponing!

I have become very interested in all of the hype that comes with couponing.  The past few days, I am always searching online for coupon sites, blogs, and finding deals.  Last night, I signed up for the Sunday and Thursday Indianapolis Star with all of the coupons.  I don't want to do the extreme and make it a full-time job, but if I can save $10-$20 each shopping trip, I'm all for it!  We have also decided to start a new goal of only having date night once a month.  We will still do "dates", but we are only going to go out to eat once a month.  How much money that will save us!  

I am excited for this new hobby.  I have so many wonderful friends who are willing to show me the ropes and teach me their tricks.  I am most excited to start saving more money!  We have opened a separate savings account to have money direct deposited specifically for this baby journey.  We will use it to help pay the medical bills, and hopefully sooner rather than later, be able to use it to buy baby products!  

Again, thank you for all of your support and love.  We are so grateful for each and every one of you! 

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Becky! I'm so proud of you! I'm not huge into couponing, but I save money every week by doing my grocery shopping at Walmart and price matching adds. This always saves me atleast $15 on meat and produce. If you make a list before you go, it's super easy.

    ReplyDelete